The Dream: You notice there’s just enough coffee for a few more cups so you press the Dash Button attached to your Keurig. Two days later the K-cups are on your doorstep. Caffeine withdrawals are averted. You are living in the future.
The Reality: The Amazon Dash Button is a WiFi connected dongle that reorders your favorite product with the press of a button. Once Dash Button is pressed, the indicator light will turn green and a notification is sent to your smartphone. You’ll never run out of your essentials again.
Dash Button comes with a reusable adhesive and a removable hook to hang or stick the button right where you need it.
They are effectively free as the $5 cost is credited to your account upon your first button press. They are exclusive to Amazon Prime Members and arrive without shipping charges. There’s no excuse not to grab a handful and give them a try.
You can start a FREE 30-Day Amazon Prime Membership here.
It’s hard to believe that some of these items exist and even harder to imagine the scenario where they would be useful. These make more sense as promotional novelties rather than a saleable good. Many LOL’s were had in the marketing meetings that conjured up these oddities. I gave a few of these as gag gifts but now wonder if they’ve been put to use.
- Trojan Condoms – exactly where do you hang this button?
- Dude Male Wipes – man has survived 200,000 years without these
- Kraft Macaroni and Cheese – because there’s always a healthier alternative
- Nerf Gun Ammo – you should outgrow these before they need replenishment
- Doritos Chips. Slim Jim [tied] – Cannot technically be classified as junk food because there is no actual food in the ingredient list
- Play-Doh – if you keep running out of this stuff I’m worried your kid is eating it. I used the same can my entire childhood
The Incredibly Specific…
This is not a jab at any listed product or their loyal users. I’m just questioning if there’s a big enough market to justify the existence of a dash button. Even the narrow demographic that uses these would only rarely need to place an repeat order.
- 3-Ring Binders – Wilson Jones. You don’t lose them, they don’t go out of style and they last forever
- Dry Erase Markers & Art Pencils – Derwent. Quartet.
- Poop Relief Pills – Digestive Advantage. Culturelle
- Snot Relief – Mucinex. Surprised they didn’t co-market this with the facial tissues button
- Guitar Strings – d’Addario. Going to the music store is more fun
- Sunflower Seeds – David. One box is already a lifetime supply
- Septic Tank Treatment – RidX. Call the plumber or try the constipation stuff above
- Cocktail Mix – Amoretti. You still have to go to the liquor store so you’re not saving a trip
- Candles – Jolie. I’ve never burned an entire candle to the end. Because electricity
The Truly Useful…
Household goods make perfect sense. These items are nearly universal in use and consumed at high volume. At any given time you are likely to be low on at least one of these. Despite the inconvenience of running out most of them don’t warrant a separate drive to the market (toilet paper being the obvious exception).
- Laundry & Dishwasher Detergent – Tide. All. Gain. Cascade. Downy. Finish. Clorox. Snuggle. Persil. OxiClean. Affresh. Wisk. Dropps
- Toilet Paper – Charmin. Angel Soft. Quilted Northern. You can’t live without it
- Paper Goods – Bounty. Brawny. Dixie. Puffs. Seventh Generation. Hammermill Copier Paper. Vanity Fair Napkins. As long as you recycle
- Drinking Water – SmartWater. Fiji. Dasani. VitaminWater. ONE Coconut Water. Zico Pure Coconut Water. This stuff is too heavy to lug home from the store. Let them bring it to you instead
- Razors & Blades – Gillette. Schick Men’s. Schick Silk Ladies. Throw them out before they get dull and rusty
- Batteries – Energizer. Rayovac. So may electronics
- Feminine Hygiene – Carefree. Playtex. For her
- Coffee & K Cups – Maxwell House. Starbucks. Brooklyn Bean. Peet’s. illy. illy Bottled. Honest Tea. Pure Leaf Tea. The best part of waking up
- Pet Food – Purina. Wellness Natural. Greenies. Solid Gold. It’s bulky and smells up the trunk of your car. Leave it to UPS
- Baby Food – Gerber. Honest Kids. Plum Organics . Kids gotta eat
- Baby Wipes – Elements. Milk Baby. Aquaphor Baby. Kids gotta poop
- Hand & Bath Soap – Dial Bath & Shower. Dial Liquid Hand Soap. Olay. Cleanliness counts
- Adult Diapers – Depend. Very discrete to buy online. You don’t want to stand in line at Walgreen’s with a cart full of these
- Kitty Litter – Arm & Hammer. Litter Genie. If you could just teach the cat to press the button. But no thumbs
- Toner Cartridges – True Image. The ‘Low Toner’ light comes on and the order goes in
- Garbage Bags – Hefty. Glad. SimpleHuman. Ziploc. These things seem to run out quicker towards the end of the box.
- Vitamins and Supplements – Vega Protein. MegaRed Fish Oils. VitaFusion Adult Gummies. L’il Critters Kids Gummies. SmartyPants Gummy. Estroven Menopause Relief. Azo Bladder Health. Azo Bladder Control. Osteo BiFlex. Schiff Glucosamine. Move Free Joint Health. New Chapter Multivitamin. New Chapter Fish Oil. New Chapter Zyflamend Whole Body. New Chapter Bone Health. Nutiva Hemp Protein. Optimum Whey Protein. Something for everybody…
Domino’s Pizza – I would use this one every week. Please make this
You can probably figure several of these that would make your life easier. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how seamlessly they fit into my shopping habits. When Amazon offers 1 hour drone delivery on the condoms I’ll move it to the ‘Useful’ list. Long live “the internet of things”.